ACC Counselling Nelson
Historical sexual abuse counselling
If you have historic sexual abuse there is help available in Nelson.
f you have historic sexual abuse* and you were a New Zealander at the time the abuse occurred, you may be entitled to free counselling through ACC to work through the trauma of that event.
I am registered with ACC to work with you – and if ACC funding is not possible then counselling is also available privately with me.
During our first session we would discuss your options and I can supply the ACC form and load it on to the ACC secure website for you, if it looks like you would qualify for this.
Effects of sexual abuse
The effects of sexual abuse can be debilitating and can affect you in ways you were not aware of. Typical reactions are listed here but there may be other ways that you are affected, even decades later, and these are normal responses to a traumatic event:
- Low self esteem
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Nightmares or intrusive dreams
- Eating disorders
- Intestinal problems
- Relationship issues
- Sexual problems
- Emotional regulation issues such as anger, anxiety, intense fear
- Hyper vigilance in certain situations such as crowds, or other areas where you are reminded of the abusive events
- Social anxiety
- Avoidance of certain situations that are reminders of what occurred
- Intrusive thoughts of past events
- Difficulty staying present
- Making poor decisions
Recovery is possible
This ACC support is well researched through Massey University, and is unique to New Zealand. I work with a multi-disciplinary team to ensure you get all the help you need. Your GP will be able to advise you if you are unsure whether ACC counselling is right for you.
Recovery from the effects is possible with counselling, as you learn how the brain is affected by trauma, and learn the skills needed to make life more enjoyable, rediscovering your strengths and resources and having a supportive counsellor to talk to – the abuse is sometimes a long-held secret and it helps to unburden yourself instead of carrying that heavy load any longer.
New ways of relating and stronger resiliency is possible as you work through the particular issues in which the trauma is affecting your life, to regain a sense of contentment.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or if you would like to make an appointment.
MNZAC, Counsellor, Registered with NZAC
* = I work with historic abuse only. If you have experienced sexual abuse very recently you may call your GP, or S.A.S.H (Sexual Abuse Support and Healing), who have a specially trained team in Nelson to support you at short notice